#Medical #billing #and #coding #college
medical billing and coding college
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), most employers prefer to hire credentialed medical record and health information technicians. (1)
Remington College encourages all Medical Billing and Coding diploma program students to take a certification exam. In order to help with this process, we have included the student membership fees, if required by the organizations to take the exam, and the cost of the first exam in our tuition price.
Below are descriptions of the options available to our Medical Billing and Coding students. If a student decides to pursue more than one certification, or requires a retest, then the student will be responsible for the payment and registration for each additional certification and exam fee.
Medical Coding Certifications (2)
Certified Professional Coder
The Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification is offered through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC). The AAPC is the nation s largest credentialing organization for the business side of medicine- coding and auditing.
Obtaining a CPC proves proficiency in:
- Coding procedures, services, and diagnoses in a physician-based setting
- Medical coding rules and regulations of reimbursement and compliance
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology
Certified Coding Associate
The Certified Coding Associate (CCA) certification is available from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). The AHIMA was founded in 1928 to improve health record quality and administers certifications that are nationally accepted.
Obtaining a CCA certificate demonstrates coding competency in both hospitals and physician-based settings. The CCA is an entry-level coding credential designed to help new coders exhibit efficiency in areas such as:
- Health records and data content
- Clinical classification systems and coding guidelines
- Privacy, confidentiality, legal, and ethical issues
(2) Coding certification varies by campus. Please contact your local campus to learn which coding certification is offered.